Sunday, April 29, 2007

Brother

(I must admit, and apologize, for the disappointing quality of my posts these days. Haha, a friend even complained to me that my posts aren't as funny anymore.

Well, I do try! But I think the new direction to my blog is a good one. I will write as much as I can, but in the meantime, I'm more interested in sharing my little thoughts each day with you. :) )

Tonight, I realized just how much closer my brother and I have gotten over the past few years. I think it had to do with us being more open with each other, sharing stories about life, the decisions we made, the choices we faced.

Back then it was a rare moment indeed for us both to sit and talk, but now, like the way tonight played out, it was a very warm familiar feeling to have him walk in and say, "Hey we need to talk."

And tonight was indeed a momentous night. He came in, sat with me, and told me about his breakup that took place mere hours earlier. In a pained yet controlled tone he detailed how he and his ex had come to the decision mutually, and that both parties had parted as very close friends.

What struck me was the clear, rational thought that guided his actions. They were quite precariously enamoured with each other, yet still decided that this was a good time for both to explore life, explore University / Army, explore other people. They recognized too the other hurdles in their way, and had clearly acknowledged each and every one.

I was mightily impressed. He had effectively learnt to deal with his emotions, managed to think more than a few steps ahead, and just saved himself and the girl no small amount of pain later. He may only be 19 years of age this year, but I somehow felt he was mature beyond his years.

So I'm dedicating this post to him, in memory of the night when I felt I no longer needed to guide him quite as closely anymore. You've really done me proud, and very few people can ever do that for me.

No comments: