Tuesday, July 27, 2004

"Sir Yes Sir"

I really do hate saying it.

My OC first taught it to me, just a while back. We were going to discuss a thorny issue with a Captain (both my OC and I are lower ranking) and he told me, no matter how much rubbish this Captain was going to spout, just say the three magic words.

My indignance got the better of good advice. There was this point when my ears were overflowing with the completely illogical sewerage flowing down to us in the one-way conversation when I just had to speak out. I ignored the glares from my OC, and went out to point out the fallacies and loopholes present in the instructions we were receiving.

This is not a fairy tale, nor a Hollywood movie. This is a blog. There is no happy ending to this tale. I got screwed first by this Captain, then my OC, for not saying the three magic words.

It happened again during driving just just now. It was a two lane road, and as I overtook this taxi that had stopped on the side, my instructor asked if I had checked for blindspots on the right, in case another car wanted to overtake me.

I pondered how a bunny fluff-head like him ever got to where he was. Yes, I know he was trying to impart the invaluable lesson of road safety, but just five minutes ago he had told me, "always assess the road situation for yourself and make the right decision". Right. So as I continued thinking murderous thoughts, my mouth went on auto and pointed out, very nicely, that he was making as much sense as boiled cabbage.

Again, this is a blog.

But I was tired. It had been a particularly trying period (though I'm male) and I couldn't seem to summon the same Champions of Truth and Justice from their hideout within. And thus when he reprimanded me again, I compromised all that I felt was right for a spineless, subservient and meek

"Sir yes sir".

No comments: