Saturday, May 22, 2004

Goodbye 7 SIB DML Course

My most recent course ended today, and as I bid my men farewell, heartstrings I thought I had severed so long ago were tugged all over again...

Do you have any idea how wonderful the feeling is when a platoon of men are entrusted to you, and you and the men bond together through all sorts of training? When the men come to you with their problems, and then when you help solve them they come to thank you? When everyone bitches about when the course will end, and then when it does, somehow mourn the passing of a wonderful time never to return?

I'm so torn sometimes... the closer I get to them the more fulfilling the relationship I share with them, but also more intense the pain when they leave... it's like how one day after they leave, the camp somehow seems so empty? And the corridors echo with the sounds of their boots, of their laughter, of their pleas for mercy as you punish them...

For those of you shitheads out there who still want officership for the money, I'm not taking some moral highground here, but if you have no interest in serving the country, at least be there for your men, because you're in a position to make their lives that much better. And they trust you will do it!

It never really is easy letting go, in life, is it?

No comments: