Thursday, May 20, 2004

The Couple at the Canteen!

I've decided I won't detail too much of my routine army life in these pages! Instead, I'm going to start pointing out all the little miracles that go on in camp, otherwise I'll litter my blog with "I woke up late today" and "I screwed up... again"

So... today I'll tell you about this couple at my camp's canteen!

Before you get any funny ideas... they're actually the two shopkeepers at this little coffeeshop at my canteen. What was really nice was this... I was queueing up for food today, and then in front of me was this large group of people who were trying to order food all at the same time. So of course there was a certain amount of confusion, and the wife collected the wrong amount of money, and when someone pointed out her mistake, she said "Gosh!" and stood there stunned for a while.

You see, I was bracing myself, because tension was high with all the activity, and when the husband glared at his wife and there was this general envelope of silence, I was sooooo very sure a mini squabble would ensue where the husband would say something mean to his wife in front of everyone, and inflict unintentional pain that never really would go away?

And then they laughed! Right there and then!

And it warmed my heart... while everyone didn't know what the inside joke was, the two of them just laughed and laughed and laughed... and it occurred to me that these two have weathered so very much in all their years together? That it really take a monumental stoke of fate to ever cause a serious rift between them?

If you're in a relationship now (yes u, my valuable reader), do keep my canteen couple in mind? I don't exactly know what lesson you can draw from it, but I think there's lots to learn from them?

Love will last as long as you let it live. =)

No comments: