Thursday, July 07, 2005

Presentations

I thought, hey, it's time to do something different. So I joined Law Presentations 05, the one and only Orientation dance competition.

Trust me, it wasn't easy at all to bear all the criticism my well-meaning friends rained upon me. "Don't be stupid", they said, "with a body like yours how are you ever going to succeed in dance? Just stick to bodybuilding or modelling, for Heaven's sake. You'll never succeed past the Frog Dance, Hanting."

But foolhardy me went ahead, and after two unforgettable rehearsals, I'm glad I did it.

First off, the Year Ones who joined are so full of good-natured energy and enthusiasm you can't help but come away infected. Come to think of it, that's not very surprising, after all only the most dance-loving or unbalanced people from all the OGs volunteered. I've made friends and built rapport so fast sometimes I felt like I was in a Carebear cartoon, seriously.

Secondly, I've come to realize that I'll never do something as mad as this again. Simply, my body can't keep up. For all the stretching we've been doing, I'm still as inflexible as government policy. Frankly, it's also pretty amazing that up till now I have yet to butcher my dance partner accidentally, considering how gifted I am in the dance department. As they say, once in a lifetime.

Lastly, I've never had so much fun learning a new skill. Everybody's been so encouraging, even if you make a mistake they stop laughing after ten minutes so that you get to pick yourself up and try again. True, there are real pros among us (ahem *cough*Hui*cough*Ling) but by and large everyone's been learning together.

The only bad thing to come out of all this, is the dire need to diet. Guys have to go topless during the real thing, so I'm adhering to a strict diet of figs and carrot sticks from now on. Sheesh, I feel like a bride before her wedding.

Oh yes. Thank you dance partner for not bursting out in tears when we got paired! =)

No comments: