Monday, July 04, 2005

Eagerness

Some time back, I made a little resolution to firmly yet politely refuse any and all flyers pushed to me. The thing is, I don't like the way people invade your personal space in such an abrupt manner, most of the time when you least expect it.

But when I saw the middle-aged lady, obviously weary from a full day's worth of handing flyers out to complete strangers, my big heart softened. This time, I told myself, I would gladly accept a flyer from her, no, no, I would enthusiastically take the initiative and ask her for a flyer.

Heck, I would even throw in a big smile and wish her well.

So I strode up to her, and asked in a cheery voice if I could have one. She looked taken aback for a second, gave me a queer look, recovered and handed me a flyer. I flashed her a happy smile, then walked off, taking a little comfort in the knowledge that I had made her job that little bit easier.

Then I glanced down at the flyer.

"2005 Wedding Fair! Hundreds of styles and cuts! Dresses galore! Sale on NOW!"

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

No comments: