Saturday, July 02, 2005

Law Camp 2: Bodies

I casually pointed over to the mass of tanned and well-toned bodies in the pool, slugging it out in the inter-year water-polo match, and asked the girls sitting around me a deceptively simple question.

"So, which part of a guy's body is the most important to you?"

The girls chittered among themselves for a while, then one voice replied for all.

"Definitely the chest or shoulders. The bigger the better."

"What?!? Not the abs? I thought every girl wanted a washboard ab on her man?"

"Na. Whoever told you that?"

I immediately let go of the breath I had been holding since the start of camp, and my belly sagged back into place.

Suddenly obsessed with a sociological quest of epic proportions, I went on to query the rest of my group mates. At the end of the day, I found out quite a few interesting things about the way guys and girls perceive each other. If you are someone who has always been harboured Narcissistic tendancies, pay heed.

Myth One: Oh no! I just gained 2 kg! I am soooo hideously fat!!!
The Truth: You are either Very Thin, Very Fat or Normal. If you in neither extreme to begin with, and you gain or lose a couple of kgs, NO ONE NOTICES, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

Myth Two: It is a must for guys to have hot bods or be cute, to be a hit with the girls.
The Truth: Hot bods or cutie faces might have some weight, but charm always rules the day.

Myth Three: Guys are mindless beasts, attracted only to females with svelte figures.
The Truth: We are human beings, not beasts.

No, seriously, the world is a lot less shallow than you think it is. People ogle movie stars the entire day, wishing they too could insure their bodies for millions of dollars, but still return to loving their normal, down-to-earth partners all the same.

You should too, if you haven't.

1 comment:

l0ngrun33 said...

we all have our welcome gifts to civilian life - hobbit bellies ...