Wednesday, September 22, 2004

The Irresistable Sweetness Of....

It was the glint in his eyes that lent all the weight to his words.

A particularly serious, determined glint. Was it a trick of the light? I couldn't be sure, but contextually speaking, what with the bitter grin he was wearing and the velvety threatening undertones in his voice, chances were he meant every word of it.

I tried my best to defuse the situation. I employed an old trick in the book, simultaneously tyring to lighten the mood and make him see that I could empathize, identify with him.Then when he could see that I was on his side, I would attempt to bring him round to his senses.

"Haha, you know, I thought of the exact same thing myself. But nah, in the end you'll find that it's all meaningless, then you'll just give it up."

Sigh.

It's bad enough, in my opinion, when a couple breaks up. Whether the separation was an amicable one or not, both parties will usually experience an immense sense of loss initially, and will harbour a silver of doubt for a long, long time as to whether it was the right move, breaking up. From the sidelines, every relationship dissolution never fails to dim my day. I find myself pondering the unharvasted possibilities that will never bear fruit, and feel genuinely, sincerely sad for the parties involved.

It's bad enough to see real love, care and concern somehow just melt away. It's worse to see them deforming into bitterness, anger, hatred.

"You see, just when you want to inflict the masterstroke that will hurt her, pay her back for all that she's done to you, justified or not, you'll realise that there's no point to it. She's already happier with someone else, why woo her back just to dump her? To make her feel what you're feeling now? Come on, after all, you once had unmeasurable reserves of love and tenderness for her, why don't..."

"Hanting. You know what's the difference between you and me?" Silence. "I will do it."

And with that he strode away, still grinning wildly.

Everybody knows that it will taint your soul, smear your conscience with an indelible smudge. But sometimes, our weak wills yield to the irresistable sweetness of Revenge.

Where is the love, the love, the love....

No comments: