Monday, September 20, 2004

Polygamy

I was out with a bunch of friends, at the recently concluded Army Open House, when we passed by this particular booth exhibiting the Army's new thrusts into the online world. For some reason, to promote the new Army portal they chose to have a few scantily clad girls demonstrate the portal's special qualities. Right. I wonder who was getting more hits, the portal or the girls.

So anyway, because we were a bunch of guys, we were all like "Hey, hey, let's go over and look at the girls." I abstained, due to the fact that I had already accessed the portal previously, and then noticed that another of my friends was hesitating as well.

This friend, a Bruneian trainee, obviously had trouble fending off the peer pressure then directed at him. For some reason he really wasn't very excited about going up to see the girls, and then it struck me. "Aha!" I said, "Noji, you've got a girlfriend right?"

"No lah, I'm married already."

"But wait, I thought you can marry more than once?"

"Can, under Islamic law I can. Up to a maximum of four."

The rest of us took a sinful moment to indulge in the imagining of a life with four wives. My friend burst out then, unable to control his curiousity despite the possibility of sounding offensive, "Then why don't you?!?"

Noji shook his head a tad too sadly, then replied. "Cannot lah, my wife will get angry."

Further proof that feisty women are more effective than laws upon laws upon laws.

No comments: