Friday, December 23, 2005

Rain From The Past 1: Friend?

She was, at that point in time, perhaps the closest thing to perfection I knew. She was 4 years older than I, and the first older friend I ever made.

We shared the school bus to primary school, and twice a day, once on the trip to school and once on the way back, the whole motley crew would play games, sing songs and drive the bus uncle mad. Friendships were quickly forged, and to my delight carried over to life outside the school bus.

For instance, on the occasions I bumped into her at the canteen, we would chat and talk about the teachers we had, or the little things that had been going on in class. Days few by that way, and you would barely feel the tedium of school.

Once, however, I was in the bookshop when I noticed her coming in with a bunch of her friends. I waved and said hi, but she didn't respond. In fact, she ignored me pointedly. When her friends asked her who I was, and why I was waving at her, she was icily calm.

"Oh, just some brat from my school bus. Don't mind him."

So saying, they left. I don't remember ever talking to her again, after that painful afternoon.

We all know that it's never a good idea to love people too much. Sometimes, we even make little reminders to ourselves to have restraint, and not give so freely. Often, however, we plow ahead recklessly, unable to stem the tide of feelings flowing inside.

With care I must tread - ironically, a 7 year-old is better than handling such disappointments than a 21 year-old can.

1 comment:

yellowbirdie said...

heyy hanting!! teresa here ^^ hehe just popping by to say hi! and your blog's a really good read, i've been stuck at the page for the last 20 mins!! haha... anyway hope everything's going great for you, and happy belated new year ^^