Thursday, October 07, 2004

Being Anti-Social

It's strange. I have an entire list of flaws to grapple with, but I never thought I would have to deal with this one.

The first time I suspected I had a problem with being anti-social was in Secondary school, where a few personality tests profiled me as having slight anti-social tendancies. Pshaw, I thought, that's rubbish. I saw myself as being the kind of person who didn't have problems mixing, and who loved to be in the company of friends and family. Anti-social, me?

But over time, and as more friends became more open with me, I found that at times I would very easily shy away from large gatherings or reunions. Most recently, when old cadet friends came over to stay at my bunk to study for an exam, I found myself being very, very unwilling to go and spend the night with them. I preferred to stay home, do my own thing, and well, just have a bit of quiet. And that's when I was accused of being anti-social.

It's true, I guess. At times I find myself gravitating to smaller group outings, instead of the huge Hey-Aren't-You-My-Sister's-Friend's-Boyfriend's-Uncle's-Friend? kind of gatherings.

And just when I started fretting about being socially inept and not surviving in the outside world, it struck me. This isn't about being anti-social. It's about being BROODY.

Oh man. The brooding, quiet hunk. Johnny Depp. Brad Pitt. The QUINTESSENTIAL Alpha Male.

Oh man. =)

No comments: