Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The New Paper

I have a theory that jealousy is a vital ingredient in a healthy relationship.

Contrary to popular belief, jealousy is not borne out of the lack of trust for one another. Well, for most people at least. Sometimes it reflects the special occupation someone has in your heart, demonstrating once again the irrationality of love. You know someone loves you, cherishes you, but when he or she reveals a fondness or weakness for another, it blossoms in your bosom, this green-faced fiend of a devil.

These thoughts ran through my mind when I was enjoying the company of my friend and his girlfriend. They have been one of the most blissful couples I've yet to come across, and I measure this by the amount of healthy love, respectful sacrifice and unbidden tenderness borne out of their union. He's always struck me as the sensitive, thoughtful kind of guy who would always place her interests above hers.

Which was why it was amusing seeing him purposely make her jealous.

He was browsing through a copy of the New Paper when this impish expression took hold. I watched as he considered, mulled and deliberated, his face betraying the fearsome tussle within. And with a quiet, overly smooth flourish he spread the paper in front of her, cleared his throat, thus beginning the following conversation:

Him: Dear? Look at this!
Her: (distractedly) Hmm? What?
Him: Look, this is Candy, my ex! She's made it as a New Face!
Her: (stressed calmness) So?
Him: Don't you want to have a closer look? And see her?
Her: (turning away) For what? See her for what?

He admitted to me much later that somehow, he just couldn't resist. In his words, he just wanted to have a little fun, and jio jio her a bit.

Nah. In my opinion he was watching for a certain response, and I think he got it.

No comments: