Thursday, August 12, 2004

Musical Periods 1: David Tao

I've found, to my curious delight, that I've been unconsciously attaching memories and feelings to music!

It's not the sort of minor recall you get when something rings a bell and you haul some dusty old memory up from the corners of your mind. For certain albums or songs I experience a whopping resurrection of the past, and I feel like I'm back in that particular point in my life, listening to that piece of music. Emotions swamp and amaze me with their undiluted intensity, and I often have to shake myself to regain my footing in the present.

For this entry I'll talk about David Tao's Collection CD. When his CD played today I recalled...

1. The smell of cadet bunks
2. The absence of responsibility in anticipation of officerhood
3. Friends screaming at me to shut the hell up (repeated the same song for an hour straight)
4. Those bustling, free nights when I would stream the CD down the corridors
5. Heartache, pure concentrated bittersweet heartache
6. Singing a bit in the toilet, then going back to the bunks to find other people singing it too
7. Long, aimless MRT rides to nowhere feeling horribly halved, in some way


No comments: