Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Death 3: Suicide

Someone killed himself in camp today.

When I hear things like this, I feel angry. I consider all the repercussions, the confused and hurt parents, the bewildered friends, the sense of loss the antagonizers and bystanders must feel. I wonder how some people can be so irresponsible.

Then I soften, and become heavy hearted. I put myself into their shoes ,and think about the helplessness they must have felt in their last moments, their sense of alienation in this world gone mad. And I wonder why others didn't reach out to these people in time.

I remember crying with a best friend who flirted with the idea once. I recall just screaming in his face, telling him I wouldn't forgive him if he just left me like that. I was so scared I was bawling.

When I see people fighting so very, very hard to keep their loved ones close to them, I feel like standing up and saluting them. I see pple at funerals, mourning and regretting for not making the best of yesterday, yet still soldiering on bravely. When you think about it, you live on not for youself, nor money or fame, but for the people around you who mean so much to you. Would you forgive them if they just left like that?

Don't let go of something so fast, just because you haven't learnt to appreciate it.

No comments: