Wednesday, March 23, 2005

China 3: Parents and Children

You know what they say, parents will always perceive their children as needing protection and guidance, no matter how old their progeny has become.

You want proof? Hey, take a gander at my dad.

When I was younger I'm told I suffered from severe speech problems, at one point being unable to speak in full coherent sentences or understand proper English for up to two years (before I was two). As a result, my parents would take the pain of translating the mechanisms of the world into accessible language for me, trying to ensure I learnt as fast as I could.

Unfortunately, they haven't stopped doing so.

My dad and I were at the Summer Palace, when our tour guide began her historical briefing. The irritating thing was, my dad began to translate everything she was saying for me. In effect, I would receive the Mandarin Historical Account first (which I fully understood), followed seamlessly by the English Totally-Useless-Historical Account.

On account of the loving care my dad has showered on me over all the years, I resisted the urge to bite him.

My mum's not much dissimilar. Seized by an inexplicable urge to get sporty two weeks ago, I begged my dad to get me a pair of blades. Surprisingly, my mum objected most vehemently, saying that she didn't want me to get hurt before we went overseas. When she said that, my brain just hung. I mean, this is the mum who's seen me through 2+ years of army, chided me for being chicken when I refused to clear the maggots... what the hell am I going to tell my men in camp when they ask me why I don't blade? That my mum is afraid I'll get hurt?!?

I'm not an ungrateful brat, don't get me wrong. At the end of the day, I still get this warm feeling inside knowing my parents still keep an eye out for me, that I'll always have someone to turn to. Parents are wonderful creatures.
But I swear, the next time my dad translates Mandarin for me again, I will bite him.

No comments: