Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Accident 3: Impact

This very evening, at the junction of Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 and Ang Mo Kio Ave 8, I witnessed an accident in its entirety.

In retrospect the scariest thing about it all was how an idyllic, almost dull moment could develop so drastically into a mind-numbing, life-changing one. This car was heading down Ave 3 across the junction when it crashed into a motorcycle making a right turn from the opposite lane. It's strange, how the busy and noise-polluted junction seemed to freeze for a while, as the tragic event unfolded.

I guess by some peculiar happenstance there was actually a police vehicle waiting to make a right turn, and the alert men in blue reacted swiftly to control the situaiton. The entire scene plays out again and again in my mind's eye, yet I find it so difficult to describe it accurately in words. Suffice to say that after the car hit a stationary taxi and came to a halt, the distraught female driver stumbled out and could barely keep from becoming hysterical as she saw the policemen attend to the fallen motorcyclist.

Tomorrow I will return to the junction, and I will pray tonight that there will be a signboard saying "Serious Accident", rather than "Fatal Accident". The taxi driver of the cab that I was in was more pessimistic, and told me that going by experience, the unnatural way the motorcyclist was splayed out on the road, coupled with the severe degree of blood loss so fast, he thought it would be a miracle if the poor guy survived.

I really don't know about you, but I don't feel the same way about my driver's license anymore.

No comments: