Saturday, December 18, 2004

Musical Periods 2: Usher & Alicia

I know I like a song, when I listen to it loop more than five times in a row without flinching. If I can stomach it ten times in a row, well, then it's a pretty good song. If I can play it until every other single person in the room begs, threatens or forces me to please just skip to the next damn song, ahh, I've got a winner.

I've said it before, songs that somehow manage to cross cultural, language or geographical barriers, and simply just reach deep into me, immediately make it into my I-Pod playlist (the I-Pod itself I will buy when I have slaved away half my adult life and saved enough to keep all the creditors away). These songs are special to me, whether it be a trick of occasion or fate. And with pretty good reason, too.

There are very few things more innocent than childhood love. In a world where love often finds itself bedfellows with strange characters like greed, or envy, or lust even, innocent love is quite the rare find. Simply because almost all children lack the impurities we tend to acquire through life's journeys, the love they express is a reflection of their purity, and what can be sweeter than the nectar of selfless love?

Too young to understand, but old enough to appreciate
Empty of ulterior motive, but already overflowing with tenderness
Just how many things never depreciate
Yet childhood love does - priceless, timeless, blameless

Go listen to 'My Boo', and you'll understand. Meanwhile, I'll continue my search for the child within.



No comments: