Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ignorance Is Bliss

Inspiration really does come from the most unexpected of places. Last night, my muse happened to be... an episode of Heroes.

Now, most of the stuff on Heroes (or TV, for that matter) comes perilously close to being cheesy. Themes like believing in yourself, or self-sacrifice for the greater good. It gets painful to watch at times, but then I remind myself, hey there's Claire Bennet, and things get better.

But last night one particular line struck me, and the irony was that it came from a baddie. And the line goes, "I think, there comes a time when a man has to ask himself, whether he wants a Life of Happiness, or a Life of Meaning?"

He went on to explain, that for a LOH a man would live entirely in the present, focusing on the joys in front of him, never thinking about the past or the future. But for a LOM, a man would be "condemned to wallow in the past, and obsess about the future", for it was in such introspection that he would understand his place in life.

And I give up on Nathan Perelli, who could only stare blankly back at the baddie. Heck, two questions were already racing through my mind: Can there ever be a middleground, for how can one say that there is no Meaning within Happiness, or Happiness when Meaning dawns? And, are people naturally predisposed to either path?

While it's very possible for all of us to dabble in both paths at different stages in our lives, I still think people are naturally built to follow one path. It's really got to do with the way you think.

Take friend A. He's always been mature, rational, intelligent, but it's just that he never lets his mind wander. Clouds were but condensed molecules of water, events in life but isolated cause-and-effect incidents, memories but hazy footprints in the sand near the water's edge. When he was alone working at his hobbies, his mind was focused, clear.

Take friend B. She's equally capable of mind, but she sees life differently, thinks about life differently. She dissects characters in movies, questions their motivations, explores the various interpretations of the language used. Long after relationships end, from the ashes of the memories she still pieces together new lessons, an unrelenting archaeologist of the past.

I think like friend B does. I, er, hope that I've been mature and rational and all that too (the last Report Card which said I was mature of thought came in Primary 3. Nothing since then. Sigh), but while I do have a leash on my mind, it's really a stretchable 100m long leash.

My mum detests the way I think about things. She labels my thoughts on life 'peurile worries', and reminds me constantly that the present has so much to offer, so why think about the past and the future? To her mind, there's so little of the world we can control, so you might as well just be happy.

Which parent wouldn't want their children happy? For that matter, who would ever wish their friends to be locked in an endless cycle of truth-searching too, when we all know that some answers cannot be found?

Maybe that's why Meaning, means so much. It's one of those things you discover on your own, contrary to general advice, earned at great cost.

6 comments:

The Cube said...

I've always wondered about that, happiness is aways a desireable goal, but by prosponing imediate happiness for a deepeer goal that brings meaning to life may be more desireable, even if the final goal never comes.

I guess if I had to chose I would pick fighting for a deeper meaning in life, even if I had to forgo the plesentries of life now.

hanting said...

Hello The Cube, thanks for dropping by!

I think us humans all realize that delayed gratification pays, but we're weak when it comes down to making that choice.

Perhaps its because we often do not see things ever getting better, or as they say, 'one in the hand is worth two in the bush'.

That's one reason why I don't often fault friends who choose the present over the future, no matter how probable that particular happier future is... I guess many times we really just don't know, can't tell, and you just pray that at the end of the day you can look back and not have any regrets...

Anonymous said...

hi hanting,

i think whatever had been written makes a lot of sense. thanks for shedding some light on this matter, somehow i don't think i blame myself that much for being a LOH anymore...

Anonymous said...

I think I know where "Heroes" got those lines from. Check out the very first page of The Interpretation of Murder, a novel published last September: "The ways of happiness and meaning are not the same. To find happiness, a man need only live in the moment . . . . But if he wants meaning, a man must reinhabit his past, however dark, and live for the future, however uncertain."

hanting said...

Hello Zeff!!

Haha, it's great to know that my thoughts are actually relevant to other people too =)

I'm glad to hear that you're a happy LOH. Hee, that's one of my bigger regrets, not being able to just live for the moment and be happy all the time. So please don't ever feel like you're sorry for it man. You've got something special too!!

We could all learn something from each other, don't you think? =)

hanting said...

Hello Jed Rubenfeld! Thanks for dropping by!

Huh, serious? It came from a book? Grr. Goes to show you that artistes / writers really do draw their inspirations from all over the shop, hehe.

I kinda knew that line in Heroes had to come from somewhere else. It was so eloquent and out of place compared with all the other lines being spouted, haha.

Will go check out that book. =)