Sunday, May 20, 2007

Clarity

Tonight, was an important night for me. Very, very important.

Of course, different things are important to different people. Using a dash of olive oil instead of a splash may be inconsequential to the overstressed working mother trying to whip up a hasty dinner, but it is the world to the professional chef locked in the foremost culinary competition.

Yes?

Before tonight, the most dangerous, influential, perspective-wrenching movie I had watched was a little film starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke. I have, literally, multiple drafts trying to pin down the magic in that movie, trying my best to explain its effect on me.

It says a lot that up till this date, I have yet to publish one single post on it. There's... just too much to explain. Maybe one day I'll gain the faculties to do so, who knows.

And tonight, I had the sublime pleasure of watching another such movie like that. It's called Stranger Than Fiction.

I'm quite sure that if you watched it, chances are that you would march up to me and berate me for wasting 2 hours of your life. It was quirky, you would say. It was disjointed, poorly edited, flawed, preachy, unrealistic, or just plain dumb.

I would smile, in some small part because I have heard that all before, and it didn't change how important the movie was to me.

But I would smile largely because, there are others who understand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey hanting :) havent read your blog for sometime...anyway i read back to your post where you wrote a letter to yourself and although i barely know you i think youve probably achieved most of what you set out/wanted to do when you were 16. i wrote something like that also, although it was more of an essay (all these english teachers with nothing better to do, but if i ever teach i'd probably make my kids do it too) and on re-reading it at the beginning of this year it was nice to know that i hadn't changed much.

and.. these are the things which are important la. there's a difference between the urgent and the important. and what's urgent might not always be important. so..

especially about girls, what you wrote? go on believing la, cause she's out there somewhere. no matter that it probably kinda sucks at times. and hey, youve got time for whats important now.

The Cube said...

You know, I do the same thing, there are movies and songs that for one reason or another mean so much to me, and yey for other people it means nothing. Hell I've even had some people tell me I was dumb for liking something that wasn't socialy popular. But who cares about that, what iis important is how it makes you feel, and it's philisophical meaning to you and you alone.

And for the record, I thought Stanger than fiction was actualy pretty good.

hanting said...

Hello classmate who does not want to leave your name!

Haha. Er. You know. I've been thinking forever now, and I've narrowed you down to three people. Yes I am ashamed. But I think I need more clues haha.

Please forgive me!! Haha, thank you though for your encouraging words. =)

hanting said...

Hello The Cube again!

But don't you ever feel like it's nice to have someone share the same understanding about something you like?

Haha, but you're right too, it's more important to never change your choice and simply pick what's popular. Hehe.

Thanks for always stopping by! =)